Diversity, Equity, Belonging and Inclusion Task Force Toolkit
A resource center created by the WVWA’s Diversity, Equity, Belonging and Inclusion (DEBI) Task Force. Suggestions/submissions? Email us!
@blackwineprofessionals instagram account; follow and tag in job posts
@wineunify instagram account; follow and tag in job posts
Black Food Folks follow and reach out on instagram @blackfoodfolks
Local NAACP chapters also provide resources for organizations and non-profits to use; Oregon branches listed here
Equity at the Table (EATT) Primarily restaurant-focused, but there is a segment for vintners and wine professionals as well
Anti-Racism Training Resources and Courses
Wine Professionals of Color to Follow on Instagram
Organizations Working on Racial Justice
For reference: Black Lives Matter–vetted “how to help” carrd: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
Keep in mind…
- Racism is not new and systemic inequalities have always existed in the United States (especially in Oregon)
- People of color have been trying to draw attention to these problems for a very long time
- The bar (not being racist) is very low; simply declaring that you are not racist is not a PR tactic
- Don’t post anything on which you can’t follow through: ask yourself if what you are saying is actionable, and if you were asked about it six months from now, what you would have to show for it?
Potential PR talking points for WVWA
- WVWA stands against all forms of racism, sexism, exclusion, and bigotry.
- We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and we recognize that we have much work to do.
- We will be actively working on a roadmap to contribute more conversation, action and practices around diversity, equity and inclusion in the Willamette Valley and in the wine industry as a whole.
Reading on Racism and Racial Justice
Resources from Anti-Racist Discussion Group (Interested? Learn more!)
History of White Supremacy and Racism in the United States and Oregon
Understanding Privilege and White Fragility
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack
- White Privilege and Benefits
- Strong Opinions Loosely Held: It’s Time To Unpack White Fragility
- The Anatomy of White Guilt
- When White Women Cry: How White Women’s Tears Oppress Women of Color
- When Feminism is White Supremacy in Heels
- Smartest Person in the Room Episode 30 Bias Series: Well-Meaning White People
Racism in the Wine Industry and Next Steps
- Disgorgeous Podcast Episode 114: Representation Matters Part 2
- Does The Wine Industry Have A Racism Problem
- Being Black In The White World of Wine
- Julia Coney on Instagram Live: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA9FSONpWvT/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/CA9IzQdpIWv/
- Red White and Black: The Oregon Wine Story
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice